Monday, July 11, 2011

Been busy!

Well, this blogger will never soar to the heights of folks like Jessamyn West or some of the other famed librarians.  Not with going on one gawky job interview after another.  I'm overqualified to work in a very tiny, "virtual" library and not familiar with Excel 2010 pivot tables, so there goes another.  But I earned $100 for two days of warehouse pick 'n' pack.  Lord, that is tough work.  And in 1.5 weeks the unemployment runs out!

So it's on to cashing in the first of my retirement packages around August 1 if I don't find employment.  The pick 'n' pack might pick up again, but it's sporadic work; a day here, four hours there.  Wouldn't even amount to 1/4 of my former salary.

But everyone I know who prays is praying for me.  This is all very weird.  At 47, with (nearly) three college degrees, I should be working.  Especially in Columbus, Ohio, which certainly has the best economy in the state.  I'm not asking for a director's gig with tenure (read about Jenica's cushy gig at Attempting Elegance), but even $13/hr. could suffice if it isn't 30 miles across town.

I'm going to ramp up my call center applications.  I'm not going to like it, but obviously I am not the first pick anywhere anymore.  I had a 2nd interview today, but I was one of about four candidates in that pool.  The man I met with, who'd be my bosses' boss, was of the same demographic as me:  white, male, mid-to-late-40's.  That never bodes well.  At least he didn't say, "Why would you want this job?"  I've encountered that question from aloof hiring managers who have no clue what it is like to be out of work for nearly a year.

Ten more days and I hit that one year of unemployment.  So, yeah, I will say on future interviews that I've been picking up temp jobs on the side and removing viruses from PC's for money.  Still gotta see some money from that gigging, but at least I know I can do it.  If I had a few more hundreds in the bank, I'd get my A+ certification.  Been reading an 856 page e-book on it.  Kind of neat stuff to know, and certifications seem to be better to tout than college degrees.

Tonight I pray that the unemployment extension goes through.  Another half year of not working, and I will be financially wiped out.  Some thanks, Oh, See Hell, See.

Gosh, I'm one grumpy (but still unbeknowingly greatest) librarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment