Sunday, June 5, 2011

Foul!

Well, in a word, "foul" is how I'd describe my mood right now.  I didn't even get an interview at Ohio Dominican's Spangler library; turns out the person who got the job received her MLS in 2010.  That fresh, new library degree must be so much better than my aged and rotten 1990 MLS!  I'm guessing seeing my 1986 undergraduate degree listed on my resume quickly let the hiring team gauge my age, and not many places are hiring 47 year-olds.

Also, OHIONET has passed me over after my one, reasonably good interview.  Again, here I'm thinking that their hiree will be someone under 40.  I can't imagine anyone better qualified to support OCLC services at a regional "partner" than a guy who just spent the last 7.5 years as subject matter expert for cataloging at OCLC, but again... 47 seems to be the kiss of death.

I continue my search for a call center job "that doesn't so closely resemble hell," but I'll take a bad one soon enough if that's all there is out there.  I know people at Discover Card.  I know people who drive 60 miles daily back and forth to their piddlin' jobs at Discover Card.  My commute would only be 58 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment